Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Oh! Starling


The field I walk past on my way to the bus stop has been full of chatty starlings lately. They make great sounds, like little robotic machines. I have always thought that theirs is the sound referenced in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

For an example of what I mean, check out this awesome website. And for real bird nerds/history buffs, here is some info on Sturnus Vulgaris in general. It really makes me want a pet starling, despite that fact that our cat, Bailey, would probably make quick work of it (Bailey is purported to be a serious mouser, though we have yet to have a mouse problem indoors).

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm reading Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and it's my first experience with Haruki Murakami ... I have no idea how I have not discovered him before but I am thoroughly enjoying it. A scatty lady sitting next to me on a plane told me as I was beginning the book that Murakami is one of the great misogynists of our time. I'm kinda not seeing it. Am I being a bad feminist?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I never thought of him as a misogynist, either. But I think he does tend to write rather strange/shallow female characters. A post here (http://forum.japantoday.com/m_354823/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#375914) mentions this tendency. I think the writer makes a good point wrt: the weird female characters making the male protagonist seem interesting by association. The best bit in the book, though [to me], is the story within a story of the Soviet work camp, which was absolutely chilling and a real education for me. Let me know how you liked it when you're done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home