Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Garden, June 2006

The broccoli has been harvested several times, and I'm letting a stalk or two go to seed (maybe I'll get volunteer seedlings next year, who knows?), the red leaf lettuce desperately needs to be cut back so it can start growing from the bottom up (it's gotten rather bitter, too; next year I'll try to trade a couple of plants away), and there are 19 tomato plants (apparently, the layer of compost we set down had a seed or ten).

Not as visible are the strawberries (Booby re-broke the pot I had previously broken and mended, and now they're looking a bit sad), zucchini, several varieties of peppers, climbing string beans, peas, cucumbers, raspberries and two pumpkins (these have a couple of blossoms, but no fruit has started yet).

And it takes remarkably little work - mostly just regular watering and the occasional herbicide application. Neato! Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

So beautiful! Congratulations!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Tink said...

Impressive! I can't even grow weeds well.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be wonderful to have a yard rather than a small patch of concrete. I'm envious. The small patch of concrete hasn't prevented me from having a containered fig tree and tomato plants, but I wish I could have more.

Your garden looks great to me.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Thanks, you guys. :)

Melissa, my entire back yard is pretty much concrete. We just built a little brick wall and had the Mulch Man deliver a few yards of clean fill (the rest of my gardens were contaminated with aresenic-leaching treated wood, no good for growing edibles), which we shoveled in after lining it with some sort of gardening fabric. Et viola! Instant "garden." It really is easier than it looks - if you have a little concrete patio and 5 hours of sun per day, you could give it a whirl, on a smaller scale. Anhd then blog about it! Looking forward to more jam stories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home