Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Addicted to groceries

So, apparently not only am I a food nerd, but I also have a problem with the grocery shopping. I love it too much. I can't help myself but read the circulars obsessively to see who has what on sale. I even belong to a coupon trading group on Yahoo. A coworker once told me she liked that I had this weird hobby, because it was endearingly nerdy (nerdy? She should have been privy to my high school years).

It does make me feel a little like a compulsive hoarder, though, this need to have a full fridge and a Y2K pantry. We did actually clean out the basement over the weekend, and I filled many a milk crate (which Chris hoards irrationally) with packaged goods in the process of emptying out our "pantry" [read: old metal kitchen cabinets repurposed by previous owner]. I felt all virtuous and Tightwad Gazette.

I talked with my sisters about this recently and discovered that they, too, enjoy a calming sensation and feelings of escape when they set foot into the supermarket. It made me feel a little better to hear that maybe it's genetic, and follows a chain along with the potential breast cancer and type II diabetes that we're staring down the barrel of (not to mention the already-present blinding headaches we inherited from mom!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home