Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Mold o'lantern




We didn't take a photo of our jack o'lantern until Booby suddenly realized the entire inside was carpeted in fuzzy grey mold. Mmm! Better than last year, though, when I placed my little pumpkin on the mantle, only to have it go bad almost immediately. I only noticed the carnage after it left a trail of slimy pumpkin fluids down the fireplace onto the hearth. It was not unlike the CSI where they find the decomposed bodies in the trunk. Damn you, Produce Junction! You're worse than the Italian Market with supplying produce that looks fine until you go to use it, and your finger perforates its skin on contact (true story!).

This year's pumpkin got lots of compliments from the neighborhood kids. I ended up not using the templates I had downloaded, because suddenly it just seemed like a lot of work, and thoroughly un-visceral.

4 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work at Produce Junction. For like 5 years.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Was it awful? Normally I love their stuff, but the one that's near me seems to be kind of bad. It seems like it would be a thankless, hard job in any case.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The desire to deliver value is greater than the desire to deliver quality. That being said you can succeed by shopping when it's not crowded and by purchasing only what's both fresh and affordable. Going in needing potatoes will inevitably lead to rotten potatoes.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

db,

I will take your words to heart. For some veggies, consenting to have them tossed on the counter without a thorough check is just asking for them to go bad within 2 days. Those are the ones I'll buy at the supermarket. I suspect that Produce Junction's employees would lose all patience with me if I insisted on inspecting each and every apple in the plastic bag.

You can't beat 'em for frsh flowers and berries, though. My loyalty remains (somewhat) steadfast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home