Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Not So Engaging

Engaged Encounter - the bane of any "Catholic" couple's existence, right (the recent church shenanigans re: homosexuality and child abuse have forced me to use the inverted commas)? I've been to two of them (don't ask), and I thought they were pretty awful and totally removed from the reality of an actual relationship, but this guy had it worse.

"There is no fucking way I am hugging any of those fucking people and I am sure as SHIT not praying with them," I hissed.

No hugging, no lessons. Nice if you can get it. We had a "prayer service" at the close of ours (after being forced to watch half an episode of Mad About You, which is maybe one of my most hated shows of all time), but, thank jebus, no hugging. The Irish, we don't hug so much. Unless we're drunk. Then we can't stop.

3 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Quite an account. We did the one-afternoon session. It was virtually painless. The sandwiches were the worst part. One doesn't have to be a pagan to hate mayonnaise.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

I'm a pagan and I hate mayonnaise. I think I'll make a t-shirt that says that.
All of my sisters-in-law (4) are Catholic, so my three brothers and my brother-in-law have done the Engaged Encounter and speak of it as a barely-remembered mildly-uncomfortable event from the distant past. Like a visit to a proctologist. My heathen husband and I just have to laugh. Sundays typically find us stuffing our face with Krispy Kreme and fighting over the funnies.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

The t-shirt is a great idea. Let's go in on it together--you get the front to advertise your website a la Mrs. Kennedy, and I'll put "Mayonnaise does not belong on an Italian hero" on the back with my URL. We'll make it long-sleeved, and there'll be plenty of valuable real estate on the sleeves for you, too, Mrs. Harridan!

Can you tell that I'm procrastinating?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home