Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hope springs eternal

Now that I've confessed my garden nerdery, I'll go even further to prove it by posting this photo of my avocado seedling. These are ridiculously easy to grow; trust me, I might be good at nurturing plants once they are normal size, but growing things from seed is rarely my forte (yet, I soldier on, despite the odds).

Here is a bit of cribbed info from The Garden Helper:

The avocado tree (Persea americana), when grown by a hobby gardener, is normally grown from seeds removed from ripened fruit.
They are easily sprouted in a well-drained 4- or 5-inch pot of porous, fertile soil. The top of the seed should just barely peek above the surface of the soil. If the soil is kept fairly moist and the temperature is between 60 and 70 degrees, the seed will begin to sprout and a pretty, leafy plant will develop.
When the seedling reaches 12 inches, it should be pinched back to about 6-8 inches to produce a rounder, fuller plant. Avocados grown inside thrive in sun or in a good, lighted location. Once they've filled their pots up with healthy roots, they should be potted in larger ones. Repotting should be done in the spring. Well-rooted plants should be given a dilute liquid fertilizer every week or two. Watering should be done so that the soil never becomes really dry but isn't ever soggy and waterlogged. They should be fertilized with a balanced houseplant food every two or three weeks in the summer and about every six weeks during the winter. It's also a good idea to mist the leaves of your Avocado if the air in your home is very dry. Indoor trees need low night temperatures to induce bloom.

This plant has grown some since I took the photo. It took a good 3-4 weeks for the sprout to come up, but now it's going like gangbusters. I have it in a sunny window with Western exposure. If it ever produces fruit, it won't be for several years, so hopefully it'll be a pretty houseplant.

I'm also trying to grow pineapple plants from the crowns, but they are progressing very slooooowly. I don't really care if they bear fruit, because I don't have the space, and bromeliads are pretty even without blooms. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

Heavens to Betsy, can I come to your house? Avocadoes? Pineapples? My goodness.

Lovely work.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

After you teach me to make homemade pasta, I will show you how to grow weird shit. :)

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

It's a deal!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

It's so cute! So when do we get to make the guacamole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home