Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Friends in High Places

On Monday, I had the delightful experience of visiting my good friend and her husband and daughter in their new house in the nearby 'burbs and enjoying a meal there (and some wine, naturally). The friend in question, Frau Doktor, is one of my best friends and certainly my oldest one; nonetheless, I felt some degree of trepidation in revealing the fact of this blog to her (not unlike Arabella's when she "came out" to her friends), but the wine helped.

Fortunately for me, she was intrigued, having earlier gotten into the Finslippy and Dooce loops, and she eagerly asked me all kinds of questions, and even included Booby in her queries, since he is also a rather prolific blogger in his way. Then he and I harangued each other (as is our wont) about our differing blog styles; he prefers a breezy, fun, non-intimate tone, while I would unthinkingly invite you all into my boudoir without a second thought to discuss tampons and sex toys, because the concept of my enemies or even people I mildly dislike using such information for nefarious ends is just unthinkable to me. Or, perhaps more correctly, thinking about it hurts my head, so I don't think about it. So far the count is Three (count 'em, 3) blog posts he has suggested gently, asked nicely or demanded stridently that I remove. And I guess I love him, because I've honored his requests each time.

But I digress. Frau Doktor was kind enough to read my blog (after a near miss with her soul after my mistakenly routing her towards a Bible Study page) and even offered me praise on my writing and my acerbic wit (which of course, I didn't lap up like a greedy dog or anything). The bottom line here is that she is an amazing and dependable friend, and I'm lucky to have her. It is my fervent wish, also, that she decides to start a blog so you can all see how cool she is. Time will tell.

Will post photos of her adorable daughter upon my return home!

9 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Hi and welcome to unnamed friend of Mrs.H. Please come and play with us!

And why give in?? I liked the post about him wondering about the reason for high heels, or something.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Tink said...

Hi, my name is Tink... And I'm a closet blogger. I have told NO ONE about my place of refuge on the net. Although Hoop sees me typing on it all the time. I think he chooses to ignore the fact that I keep looking at him, typing, and then giggling madly. *Shrugs* Maybe someday I'll be as brave as you girl.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Thanks for the nod. I'm glad you had a positive experience with telling your friend about your blog. It's funny how difficult it can be.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Ok, I just tried my own blog's URL with the same misspelling, and I got the same Bible study page. What is UP with that????

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to work on building up enough courage to start coming out. It just seems so much easier to share with total strangers and I guess I want to reserve the option to say things that I may or may not want people in my life, other than my husband and a few close friends to know about.
I'm working on it though. I did include my URL in a few Christmas cards this year.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

It really is hard to come out to people about the blogging. I want to tell my sister, but I'm still scared. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't tell anyone else, and I almost told her over Christmas, but then she was really ill and out of it, so I didn't.

I am really grappling with deleting posts at my husband's request. It makes me feel like a surrendered wife! Usually it's stuff that he feels is too private, or too work-oriented (no one wants to get dooced), so I understand his motivation, but ... if it were something that only affected me, obviously I would keep the posts there.

Arabella (and all other blogspot users) - that is so weird! The Bible Study people must add each new user to their "blogpsot" domain on a daily basis. Crazy!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger V said...

Ooooo...coming out is ROUGH. I haven't told any of my family. A couple of friends know...and telling my best friend was also accompanied by some tasty drinks.
Sadly the times I have told are usually a result of my big mouth and saying "I was reading this blog....blahblahblah." Many smart people get it...Oh....she's blog obsessed...she must have one...and ask. And I'm a bad liar, so I always fess up. And feel like a weird silly loser doing it.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Congratulations and I heartily approve (not that anyone gives a rats ass) of bringing another person over to the dark side of blogging.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I'm probably out to far too many people. Oh well. Doesn't keep me from swearing in front of Mom though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home