Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, July 05, 2006

In which I am virtuous

I ate a shit ton of crappy foods this holiday weekend (cake, beer, wine, more beer, water ice, a very juicy burger, fries, steak, etc.), and about 2 pieces of fruit. So today, I had to come back into the fold by eating:

  1. a Trader Joe's peanut butter granola bar
  2. homemade Colcannon, with fresh potatoes, fresh cabbage and butter
  3. a salad with 2 kinds of organic lettuce, organic raspberries, organic onion, a slightly underripe tomato from my garden (photos of the ripe ones coming soon!) and homemade vinaigrette
  4. a homemade brownie (not really "healthy," but at least lacking high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated whatever whatever)
  5. a big chunk of seedless watermelon

I've become a huge Trader Joe's fan in the past month. Their fruit isn't so great, but I have a couple of good sources for nice fruit in the city already, anyway. Where they do excel is in their selection of cheeses (mmm, delicious herbed chevre for a mere $2.99!), snacky things (I am fully addicted to their pita chips and honey sesame sticks), and packaged nuts (try the chili lime Thai peanuts or the Mediterranean almonds). They also have these great prepackaged Indian meals. I know, it sounds awful, and like processed food. But I checked the ingredients and it's on the up and up. We have thus far enjoyed Dal Makhani and Madras Lentils, both over rice with a little ear of corn and a salad. It comes in a boil-in foil bag, so it's great for when you don't want to cook. AND TJ's also has frozen naan, which is way better than the pita bread that seems to be ever-present in regular markets, but lacks the authenticity and bubbly crackliness of the naan you get in an Indian restaurant. Two minutes in a hot oven and you're ready to roll.

4 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

I have thus far avoided entering the new Trader Joe's that just opened up in my area, because I know that the odds are slightly less than 50-50 that I'll ever want to leave.

I've heard their frozen foods are wonderful.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

I love love love me some Trader Joe's.

Homemace Colcannon? Can I come over for leftovers, please?

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Dan said...

It's amazing how good Trader Joe's frozen vegetables taste. We stock up every once in awhile.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's makes me very happy. And you're right, their snacks are faboo. The one at 23rd and Market doesn't carry them, but some stores carry Wasabi cashews. If you like wasabi they're just the best thing ever.

Next time you go, try their triple ginger gingersnaps. I don't remember the three variations on ginger offhand, but they're excellent. I could probably go on and on about Trader Joes, but I'll refrain.

One question though, I've never heard of colcannon. Is it just potatoes and cabbage cooked together or is there something else I need to know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home