Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Friday, September 15, 2006

What do you want first, the good news or the bad?

Me, I'm a pessimist. So I always choose to hear the bad news first:

I got laid off on Wednesday.

That was kind of a huge surprise. Also a surprise was being hustled out of the building like a criminal, with barely time to close down my computer and grab my purse. Ah, this modern world we live in!

Since I worked in a department consisting of two people who did approximately the same exact job, and I had about two years' seniority over my colleague who didn't get laid off, and I was told that I wasn't being laid off due to my performance, I can only assume that it's because I have a uterus and not a penis that this layoff occurred.

Speaking of uteruses, now that I've been laid off, I can share the good news with you, at last:

I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant.

I didn't want to say anything on the actual blog, because some of my ex-coworkers read it occasionally. And I didn't want management to know and use it against me (ho, ho! Now I wish they had known, so I'd still have a job). And I didn't want to have to tell my entire workplace if anything went wrong, though I guess I wouldn't have any problem at all telling the world via blog. By the way, if I know you in real life and haven't told you, I'm sorry. I think there's one or two people who I haven't gotten in touch with just yet.

Anyhoo.

The weird thing about this is that my friends who were trying to get pregnant at the same time I was are all pregnant, too. Within a week or two of each other. It must be something in that Savannah water.

So, I guess the timing of my career blowout isn't so bad. I'm supposed to be taking it easy after having had some spotting in week 8, and needless to say, I haven't really had the energy to do much around the house in my off-hours (which have consisted of furious calorie intake to combat nausea, zoning out in front of bad TV, and sleeping).

And now, I think I need some salt & vinegar chips (potato chips contain folic acid!), and some quality time watching TiVo'd episodes of Flip That House while lounging on the couch.

19 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, two huge changes at once! Well, the timing of the job loss is probably a blessing in disguise, as you said, giving you some time to rest. Enjoy those chips!

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with all the hustling you out of the building? And don't they have to offer an actual REASON for a layoff? If it's not your performance and it's not because you have the least amount of tenure there,and it's not your gender (assuming they'd never admit such a thing) then what DID they say??

This just blows. Though, the additional TiVo time is a bonus...no doubt about it.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Sorry about the layoff but congrats on the pregnancy! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger toyfoto said...

That good news surely outweighs the bad. Congratulations. But about that other news: I'll bet their defense would be that your salary was higher, hense the belt tightening. *F-ers

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIPPIE! Not about the layoff (that SUCKS; I'm sorry), but about the PREGNANCY!!!!

Congratulations!! :)

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger The Big Pugawug said...

Oh shit, but OH YEAH!!!!! I am sooooo psyched for you and b00by! Hang in there, 1st trimester is almost over and then you'll be feeling like a rockstar!

2 bits of food advice: try lemon anything (soda, drops, ice) to combat queasiness, and Luna bars for a tasty way to get 100% of your folate RDA and a hefty dose of calcium.

Yay! Yay! Yay!

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I read your last post first and wondered when you said you were using Henna on your hair -- what an excellent, excellent piece of good news! So happy for you!

Sorry to hear about the layoff. That is terrible. But I agree, I am happy that you had some good news to put the bad in perspective.

Off to have a nice big glass of water in your honor! ;-)

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY!! COngratulations! But that sucks about the layoff, and it sounds like discrimination too. Is it worth making a fuss about it?

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

I'm sorry about the job, but not sorry you have a chance to take it easy and eat chips! I hope all is well with your insurance and stuff (sorry to be the dork/uncouth one to bring it up). My company went through three iterations of layoffs when I was pregnant and I was constantly stressed about losing my benefits.

Yay! Now you get to write and tell us more about baby peanut, too. That's IS good news.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee! So happy about the pregnancy. Perhaps the job layoff is fate???

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa!!!

I'm so sorry about the layoff!

But, needless to say, I'm thrilled about the pregnancy. :)

Not to mention the fact that potato chips contain folic acid. Sweet!

I hope you enjoy some much-needed peace and rest after everything you've been through.

Maybe we can enjoy some luxurious phone chats while we're resting. :)

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH god. I'm sorry about the job. But I'm so glad we can talk about your pregnancy now!

So are you going to look for something else? To me, it seemed like a stupid idea to expend a lot of energy looking for a job I would only be at for a few months...
I'll be thinking of you as I watch too much TLC today :o)

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

ARR!!! Those scurvy dogs didn't deserve ye and yer better off without em!

Ye know I be ever so happy fer ye, Mrs. Harrrrridan, and yer Booby, too.

I'll be looking into sending some chips laden with salt n' vinegarrrrr fer ye, ye bonny wench.

ARRRRRRR!!!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Sorry to hear about the job loss, but yaaay about your pregnancy! Zoning out in front of bad TV, furious calorie intake, and sleeping sounds like great "next steps" for both bits of news.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I'm a TOTAL "bad-news-first" kind of gal myself, but screw 'em...

YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

I am soooo thrilled for you! My wish for you is to escape Pukedom and travel only in Chipville.

Oh and my Beanie sends her best to yours.

(And seriously...what's in the water around here?) ;)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Sorry about the job situation. You had more seniority, maybe the other person was paid less. I have been in that situation too, where they don't tell you why you are being laid off.

Oh and congratulations on the pregnancy!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you can see the bright side of getting canned at this point. Although that would have been funny if they'd tried to pull that mess AFTER you told you you were pregnant. Take it easy for as long as you can!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about the job, but congrats on the baby!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Tink said...

*Does mental happy dance* That's GREAT news!! Screw that job. You're pregnant! I am so happy for you. I hope they feel like crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home