Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ode to Arabella



I recently got called out by Mignon on taking too long of a hiatus between blog posts, so I'm shaking the dust off my keyboard to bring you an ode to Arabella in photographic essay form.

Arabella and I are friends in real life, though we met online, and she has quickly become a close friend because we have so much in common. She has a sweet, generous nature (though she is FAR less mean than I), and she recently proved it to me by sending me a care package.

Inside was a nice letter ("Happy Summer!" proclaims the envelope), a book about a drag queen and his crack whore boyfriend (fascinating stuff, and a good read), some cute worry dolls, a gorgeous eyeshadow duo in a compact, fancy tea bags (how I love tea!), and cool postcards with a bitchy, Anne Taintor-style '50s theme. I am all about the reimagined, bitchy '50s.


The best part was the cool blue clutch bag that she made for me with her own two hands. There really is nothing like a handmade gift. It's something I can never provide for myself (I am craft-impaired; a knitting class I took ended in tears of rage and frustration), and Arabella is just so damn GOOD at it. She assures me that there are plenty of tears of rage when she sews, too, but I never see that part, so I'll imagine her in a rocking chair in a sunny room, sewing while humming to herself.

Thanks for being such a good friend, A. And anyone who hasn't been over to her blog should pop on by and congratulate her on her good news!

10 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

Glad you're back!

What a lovely care package. And big, big congrats to Arabella!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering where "you were at"...as they say down here in the south. The generosity of bloggers is still something that astounds me. Arabella is a good example.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Wow! That stuff - it's all so cool! My mom used to send awesome care packages when I was in college. Full of tampons, because she knew I always hated buying them and relied on public restroom dispensers. But Arabella's totally beats a box full of Tampax!

(Um, does your camera have focus? Just curious.... ;))

(Why do I always tease you? Is it annoying? Please tell me to stop if it's irritating. Madeleine teases incessantly and I totally blame Jim, but clearly the bread is buttered on both sides...)

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who reads books about drag queens and crack-whores is automatically my friend. Very nice.

Now I'm off to find Arabella.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Shit, those *are* pretty blurry. Looks like I need a camera lesson. Whoops!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Awwww, shucks. :)

Thanks for the tribute, Mrs. H!

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, she is a treasure and I'm so glad to have met her and you too.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book! It was...informative.

I also read Arabella's news as soon as I got back yesterday. Yay!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Tink said...

I was wondering if you ran off to live with Gypsies.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dan said...

You are lucky you have such a nice friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home