Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Anyone else get one of these?

Dear Mean Girl,

My name is Cynthia Bane, and I am an assistant professor of psychology at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa (http://www.wartburg.edu/socsci/faculty.html). This summer, two undergraduate psychology majors, Nicole Erspamer and Lia Kampman, and I are conducting research on female weblog authors and their online and "real life" friendships. We hope that you will consider participating in the study.

The study consists of a survey that takes 30-40 minutes to complete. In addition, if you were to decide to participate in the study, we would examine entries from your weblog to analyze how frequently you post entries, how many comments you receive, and the topics you discuss in your weblog. All of your survey responses and the results of our content analysis of your weblog would be confidential. Even if you do not regularly post entries on your blog, we welcome you to participate; we are interested in the opinions of a variety of bloggers.

If you choose to participate, you will be entered in a drawing for one of five $20.00 Amazon.com gift certificates.

If you are interested in finding out more about the study, please direct your web browser to the following link:
https://www.psychdata.com/s.asp?SID=119103

If you have any questions about the study, please respond to this e-mail message or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.

If you know of other women weblog authors who are between the ages of 22 and 45 who might like to participate in this study, please feel free to forward this e-mail message to them.

Sincerely,
Cynthia MH Bane, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Department of Social Sciences
Wartburg College
Waverly, IA 50677
cynthia.bane@wartburg.edu

Phone: 319-352-8313


I am an old hand at surveys. But if I'm going to invest 40 minutes of my time, I think I want more than just a shot at a gift certificate. Still, I can't say I'm not intrigued. If you've received one of these missives, do tell, and let me know if you're going to participate. I'm strongly considering it just for life experience.

20 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Didn't get one of those. I totally agree with you; I'd consider it, but only for real compensation.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like doctoral thesis research, which means these women have no money to spend on attracting participants to their study. But even without the compensation, I am somewhat leery of letting strangers poke around my archives and comments. I think I would pass if they contacted me.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

I get excited for telemarketers posing as survey-takers. And I let strangers into my house to vacuum my pillows. I'm all over it!

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New digs...come visit.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger toyfoto said...

I don't get a lot of traffic, so I'm pretty sure I won't get one of these. To tell you the truth, I'm glad. I really have a problem with psychology and psychological research. People poking around in my brainpan, wondering what makes me tick isn't appealing, mostly because I envision some Today Show host, on the day after the study is released, smiling freakishly into the camera telling the world that it's official: women with children are filling their social, emotional and intellectual void with imaginary friends on the Internets. And presto-chango, they are coming to life. Argh.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Wordgirl, I thought you said a team of Jehova's Witnesses and two Morons. I'm still snickering...

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

I didn't get this, but I'd probably do it, even though a drawing for one of five $20 gift certificates ain't much of an incentive.

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get one.

I'm afraid if they analyzed my blog they'd reach depressing conclusions: She spends hours online writing and reading? For what? Friends? Comments?

I'm afraid the title of the thesis would be Desperate Housewives: Women who Live for Comments, Approval, Connections.

Sorry guys, I have PMS. I'm in one of THOSE moods.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Hey, who doesn't let morons into their house at one time or another?

V-Grrrl, puh-lease! I happen to know for a fact that at least half of the commenters here enjoy your blog and find it to be heartfelt, intriguing, and well-written. I just need to figure out how to add your XML feed to my Bloglines ...

Anyway, I did the survey in 2 parts. I don't think it took 40 minutes, and it wasn't invasive or all that weird. It basically asked you to compare online friendships to RL ones.

And even if you didn't get an invite, you may participate by clicking the link in the post, if you are so inclined. I kind of like the fact that 3 academic women are studying the dynamics of online friendships among women.

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey cool. I didn't get one either, but if I did I would let them study me as I am a total blog attention whore. Let us know what you decide.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Sassy Pants said...

I'm such a self-survey whore I have to do this - even if I didn't get it myself. One of my motives for having a blog in the first place is to spread my gospel to the world so the more spreading the merrier. (Did I just have a bonding experience with Jehovah's witnesses?) Plus, I've been a summer research student, a PhD student and am currently getting my Masters so if this is legit research I'm all for it.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Hell, I do the shopping surveys; I'd probably be all over this, if asked. Sadly.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Did it, thought it was interesting and I'm glad they'll email their findings to participants. I'm curious. Seemed totally harmless to me.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I got one! But I don't know if I want to do it either. What if they make fun of my blog or something?

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got one, too. But I am very, very lazy, and probably won't respond.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Tink said...

Always a blog-bitch, never a blog-goddess. *Sigh* ;)

I would totally do it, but not for the certificate.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Why would anyone offer $20? That's nothing. I think that's strange.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I didn't get it, but it sounds interesting. Did you do it?

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Didn't get it. Now I feel left out.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Mignon said...

Yoo-hooooooo!!! Heloooooo?????

Sheesh, and I thought I was a slacker! But just joking, of course. Can you please show us some more pictures of your garden?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home