Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Egg salad-y

Although I know there's a huge contingent of folks who loathe mayonnaise, I have to admit I love it. I just saw something on npr.com about the anniversary of the creation of mayonnaise.

Occasionally, I get severe cravings for mayonnaise-laced food items. Often in the form of egg salad. When I was young and poor, I worked in a bookstore, and I photocopied recipes that sounded good to me from the cookbooks we stocked (retail consumers, know this: books you buy have had several lives before they go home with you. Just ask any ex-bookstore employee who accidentally left a coffee ring on a bestseller he signed out of the store's "lending library."). One of those recipes was from one of those Silver Palate cookbooks (I think), and is easily the most wonderful egg salad recipe known to man, containing dill, red onions, dijon mustard, mayo and sour cream. (If anyone wants to recipe, you can email me. I would've posted it here, but I can't find it online. Oh, the humanity!) But wait! I just found it. Egg salad lovers, rejoice.

See the Food section of NPR for more cool articles.

13 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being able to work in a bookstore and photocopy recipes straight from the cookbooks is like my DREAM JOB.

But I've never been a fan of egg salad. Which is weird, because I love deviled eggs.

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This combo of ingredients would be delish used for potato salad.
Erin from Iowa

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

Oh, love egg salad and potato salad. I don't even bother putting egg salad on bread - just eat it out of the tupperware. I also used to work in a bookstore - loved it! - and thought it was so cool I could read all the books for free. So not like a library where I now have to wait months to read any book published in the last year - gah!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the notion of an egg salad sandwich very comforting. There's a little tearoom in town that serves them with a side of pickle and chips. Totally delish.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAACK! Mentally, I'm telling myself that you were talking about yogurt. Yes, that's right: yogurt.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

No egg salad for me, but Erin's right about the ingredients working for a potato salad, too.

I sure do love mayonnaise, though. MMMmmm.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Dan said...

If we ever get our family party idea off the ground, I'll know where to come back for good recipes.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you to know that this post made me hungry for egg salad which I never eat. And I made some and it was delicious.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, and not forgetting about me! I figured I'd be a big nobody in Blogland after all this time.

Now for the current subject...My husband's family adds mayo to scrambled eggs. It's really pretty good. They add the mayo BEFORE they cook the eggs, of course-Otherwise it would just be gross!

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mayo is one of those human inventions that makes my head go "pif" a little. How did people come up with that? I think all the people who are inventing weapons right now should be forced to be switched to food inventions.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Aw man...I miss egg salad and mayo and all of the above. I have to admit though, that right now just reading this entry is making me a little ill.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

I came back (after I realized I forgot to comment way back when) to say I saw Martha do an egg-salad mixin the other day. It was similar to yours, but she also made a variation with guacamole. Which seemed like it should be Yummy! but actually resulted in green eggs. Sick.

And, speaking of sick, are you? Are you well?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Blondie said...

Aha! Another thing I forgot about the bookstore that I loved--reading the books for free!! Holding them ever so gently so as not to break the spine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home