Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Monday, October 02, 2006

The reluctant housewife

Fuck you, Comcast.

Strong words, I know. But if you'd spent the past week and a half unable to connect to most sites (such as Google, Yahoo, and even such rarefied corners of the web as the Organic Valley site), you'd be hatin' on Comcast, too.

Even Booby, who is quite the computer nerd, can't fix the problem here in house, so it looks like we're stuck until a) Comcast gets its shit together or b) we switch to another provider. The local competitor, RCN, has pricing that's a few dollars more, but it's starting to look miiiiighty attractive nowadays.

Enough boring connectivity stuff.

****

While I can't say that I really miss my job, I do miss the structure that work provided me. [The smallest violin in the world plays in the background.] I've found it somewhat difficult, thus far, to organize my day into anything resembling a schedule in which I accomplish the various things I really should be getting done. Usually, I manage one or two odious household chores, and then it's back to the TiVo. Pathetic, no? I mean, I've already had a two week "vacation," so it's probably time to cobble up a to-do list and get off my ever-widening ass.

In addition to the daily structure, I miss the convenience of being in the city for work. There were always a spare few minutes to return a library book or pick up my farm share after clocking out. I had plans to visit the local gelateria on a semi-regular basis, figuring that a bitter chocolate gelato craving isn't so bad, calorie-wise (and has the lovely texture of soft serve without the germs from the pump machine, best avoided during pregnancy). I have a craving for the pizza from the place across the street (I have conveniently forgotten the time I found a hair in my slice), and I'm pining for the cheesesteaks available up the street. The neighborhood here at home doesn't have these things, or even viable substitutes. Attending to what used to be everyday matters and errands now necessitates a lengthy trip on a subway car or (heaven forfend) car trip, which always feels like rush hour, even if it's only 3 p.m.

I'm sure that if I push myself just a little harder, I can consolidate my trips into town and make the most of them, and even force myself to clean my house a little bit every day.

I guess I just miss the feeling of having purpose and being "useful."

4 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

I felt like doing exactly nothing for the first six months of my pregnancy. I got a big burst of energy at the end, though, and got all crazy organized.

I say sit back and enjoy the TiVo.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Mignon said...

Don't throw anything at me, but a nice long trip alone on a subway sounds like heaven right about now... I used to take a bus into downtown Portland and go to the beautiful old public library to "research ways to find a job" on their public internet access. Then I'd go across the street and have a cuppa Earl Grey and some quiche while I read the local alternative paper. And now I'm crying...

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't felt like doing much of anything, and I do feel a little guilty about it especially considering how much total crap I have watched on television lately.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Why not develop an interest in something? You write. Maybe, there is something else you are interested in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home