Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Favorite Thing of the Week, December 7th


And while we're talking about delicious beverages (and when are we not?), here is my favorite thing of the week: Jamaican Roast Yogi Tea. This stuff is great because it satisfies my burning desire for (caffeinated) chai, but is completely caffeine-free. Oddly, I can't find it on the Yogi Tea website, but I strongly suspect that DeCaffe` Roast is rather similar in taste and ingredients.

I think I have Mignon to thank for reawakening my interest in tea. I have long been a Celestial Seasonings girl, but somewhere along the way I fell back under the spell of coffee (I blame my husband). It was always decaf, though, much to Booby's chagrin - though he only realized that was the case by accident. In any case, she commented about a red bush tea she tried that was delicious, and it sparked a neuron in my brain. "Tea? Yes, tea! Tea is good!"

Since then I've been all over the orange pekoe decaf, the lemon ginger, and the occasional cranberry apple (although that last is rather disturbingly red). And check this out: Mother-to-be tea. How great is it that there seems to be a tea for everything from "moon cycle" (i.e. PMS - but what a very interesting terminology, no?*) to nursing to fasting. Now, fasting cannot be a good idea, but I guess fasting while drinking herbal tea certainly makes it a slightly better one than just fasting alone. I myself am a proponent of the "grazing" style of eating, in part because I'm a big snacker. As I speak, there is a box of wheat thins taunting me from the corner of my desk (shamefully, I've already ingested several handfuls).

*I have a friend who dated a Middle Eastern guy years ago, and he was given to saying things like, "Oh, you are on your moon time; we must not be together." His other well-discussed comment to her was less cute: "You would look so beautiful in a veil." But hey, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, right?

6 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger KULA said...

Ok, I'm Middle Eastern (but not Muslim - I always have to clarify that there's a difference), and I have never heard the term "to be on one's moon time" before. Interesting.

Tea is great, period! I am slowly replacing coffee with tea, which is so much better for you, with all the antioxidants and such.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

The promise of tea is generally what gets me up in the morning. I'm sipping some right now. Mmmmmmm.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's the censor that is preventing me from commenting on high heels?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Dima, I think this fellow was playing the whole exotic, wealthy, macho role to the hilt (he was new to the US, and claimed to be a breeder of Arabian horses -- at age 22). It's also highly likely that my friend embellished the conversation! She is given to extreme drama, and I was not there to witness the actual exchange.

Glad you stopped by!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Mignon said...

Yay! I've brought you over to the Less Dark Side. Yogi teas are so intriguing to me, but there are so goddamn many of them! I look at them in the health food section aisle and my head spins. It's like the booster options at Jamba Juice. AAA! How am I to know if I need more energy or I need to fight off illness or think better or part my hair on the other side. Too many options for betterment. But I'm definitely trying that decaf chai. Thanks!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Db, we at Mean Girl to the Rescue (TM), A Family Company, strive to bring the best possible blog posts to you in a timely fashion.

Recently, one of our employees deemed it "not cool" that he was the subject of a blog post that he felt increased the likelihood of his being "dooced."

In order to keep morale up, we in management have decided to let the minority rule, and as a result have removed the offending post. Said employee has promised to be the subject of further posts, even if they make him appear to be an ass, for the good of the readers (all 6 of you).

Thanks for your comment. We hope you continue to make Mean Girl to the Rescue a part of your blog-reading day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home