Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Food, pets and poop. Not in that order.


Somehow, this week has gotten away from me. I don't know if it was the trip to New York (whose best attributes were a brief but fun meeting with Arabella and some top-notch Italian food at lunch: sausage, I love you), or if it was all the cat-related step-and-fetching this week has brought. My cat had to stay overnight at the vet after having her toofies extracted, and that same day my vacationing parents* dropped off their old, crotchety, matted cat who used to be mine (of course, now, they would rather die than give him up, and he greets my approach with a growl that would do Linda Blair proud). This brings the household feline total to FOUR. I don't recommend anyone coming to visit for the next two weeks, especially as I have been precluded from litter duty because of my fertility attempts. And oh, that's killing me. Well, not really, but I don't relish crackling around the cellar amongst the litter pellets and flung poo chunks: our 3-legged, 20 lb. darling can score poops off the opposing wall (about 5 feet away) while wailing his unhappiness regarding the state of his bowels. Nightly concerts at 8 (or whenever our favorite shows are on. Thank fuck for TiVo.).

But today, I'm trying to be happy and think positively, because work has been humming along (yes, a few pitfalls, but nothing I can't handle), and Lost, godammit, is a rerun tonight, and I am defrosting steaks to broil. I'm going to make chili (did you know, beans and corn somehow react together to form unique amino acids? Because I didn't until I read it in a magazine), and possibly also either madeleines or those brownies with the cream cheesecake topping that Booby won't eat but that are awesome.

Speaking of food, as I always enjoy doing, some of you may remember that I was all hyped up about a local organic food buying club. I have since placed one order and am due to pick up the next one tomorrow. Here's what I requested**:

red delicious apples, 3 lb bag

1 apple cider quart

2% butterfat milk, pasteurized, half gallon

1 yogurt red raspberry

1 yogurt strawberry

3 chicken breast and wing - lovely, on the bone, juicy chicken.

1 eggs, free-range

1 scrapple (from Myron Stoltzfus) - Best. Scrapple. Ever. I know, it's such a Philly thing, but it really is delicious.

1 breakfast links

1 Italian sausage hot (pork) - I love sausage. I love hot food. This is a beautiful combination.

1 French berry roll

1 apple snitz - dried apples, apparently. Cheaper than at the supermarket.

1 bing cherry jam - Booby is a fool for cherry-flavored anything.



*50th Anniversary trip to Toremollinos, Spain. My parents are old school married. They have friends who have been married for sixty years who cut a rug like you wouldn't believe at our wedding reception. The mind boggles.

**Yes, I wish for you to read my grocery list. And be entertained. Lodge your complaints in the comments section.

10 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Lost is a rerun!!! What??? I thought it was another new one? Oh Bother! That ruins my whole evening.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I thought it was new, too, until I looked online! I am seriously bummed. :(

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Scrapple? I thought that was snow mixed with rain...
Yeah for sausage! I think I'll go to Home Depot Right Now (my sausage source).

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

My mom had a little dog that went in to get two teeth pulled and came out with only two teeth in her whole mouth. She had something like 13 teeth removed, the poor thing.

Add me to the list of people who are seriously PISSED that Lost is a re-run tonight. Seriously pissed.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger The Queen Mama said...

Hubby loooooves scrapple. I'll have to print off that recipe for him.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Well at least your list sounds interesting. How thrilled can you get with mac and cheese, ketchup and milk week after week.

Never heard of scrapple, but it sounds yummy.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

What the heck is a French Berry Roll? sounds good but then I'll eat just about anything. Except Scrapple - WTF?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Your grocery list makes me feel good. Seriously. Thank you for sharing it.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know Lost was a rerun, but I watched it anyway. I had to get my Sawyer fix. God, that man is HOT.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

It's best not to ponder on the ingredients of scrapple. I console myself with the thought that's made from free-range, grain-fed pigs.

I will report back on the specifics of the French berry roll (I was intrigued by the name; no idea what it is).

I have to admit to a certain Sawyer-fascination, too, despite the cliche of his character.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home