Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Tuesday, April 25, 2006

People, people who hate people

I was just reading Melissa's comments on hating the general public and their assy ways, and it struck me that I should take a moment to share my most recent people-hating experience, mostly because I back-talked a guy in the supermarket, for once, rather than letting him be rude to me without a churlish response.

I was in my local grocery store, returning my glass milk bottle for a $1.75 deposit and waiting for the tall, heavyset man in front of me (and his shopping cart) to pass through the aisle and out the other side, where he could go down the back aisle and exit the store. He had been waiting for a new "Fresh Club" card, and had already asked repeatedly about getting a card for his wife (oh my God, someone is chained to you for life, sir?) and grunted in dismay that the check cashing privileges were for employees only (though, in fairness, that fact was not evident on the form).

But anyhoo, he didn't sally forth to the back aisle when he was through, he did a little shimmy with his cart, trying to squeeze past it and advancing towards me. There were people behind me, too. Was he going to squeeze past all of us?

"Are you looking to get out?" I enquired of him.
He stopped shimmying for a second. "Well, hmmmm ... I don't know yet. I guess ... I am." The shimmying recommenced.
I stared at him for a second, waiting for him to say something, anything else. But that was it.
"'Excuse me' works," I shot at him, as I stepped to the side. He and his cart bobbled past me without a word, or even a dirty look. Sheesh. People need to learn the Supermarket Code of Behavior.

6 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I think the problem is there is no code of behavior these days...none at all...

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Mrs. Harridan, you're like a superhero.

"Excuse me works." I'm going to remember that one!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. We call those people 'Moo Cows' and whenever we see them at the store, Hubz and I just say MOO and laugh.

Ah, it's all in good fun :)

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do so many people go around with their heads shoved up their asses? I swear it's like an epidemic. You tell 'em sistah.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

Thank you for speaking up, Mrs. H. I am regularly horrified by the rude behaviors of others, yet am usually too flustered to address it directly.

Next time an asshole crosses my path, I will speak my piece, and think of you.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I'm glad you spoke up - wouldn't have expected anything less from you! It does seem that people lose all manners in the grocery store. I once had an elderly lady repeated butt me with her cart. I was in front of her at the check out line and she thought I'd been there long enough. I very sweetly turned around and said, "As much as I would like to leave, I don't think they'll let me until I pay!" She didn't say a word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home