Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Thursday, February 02, 2006

Let this be a lesson to you

First of all, big ups to everyone who suggested solutions to my book cover thumbnail issue. I am working on it, but this ho is lazy, so it might take awhile before I make it work (I made a stab at it today and made ... a leeeetle bit of progress.)

This morning, I woke early on account of all four cats making the rounds of our bedroom at various times. The visiting cat, Seamus, was insistent that he be allowed to pass some time in the closet. He was also indignant about the toilet seat being down, until finally Booby put it up so he could drink out of it (photos will be posted, or linked to). I wish I knew why this cat loves to drink out of the toilet, but it's probably better if I don't.

Anyway, since I couldn't get back to sleep, I went down to make lunches and brew coffee (aren't I a gem? You think I'm joking when I say I'm a surrendered wife. And I am joking, mostly). I came back up with a cuppa joe for both of us, and tried to roust my husband out of bed. I wheedled, I cajoled, and finally I threatened to pour my coffee on him.

"You wouldn't dare!"

Oh yes, I would, and I did. It only took about 5 drops to get him moving (and, uh, the sheets irreparably stained). Doesn't he know by now that saying those words to me is like a red rag to a bull? Frau Doktor will well remember a day in our high school lunchroom when I miscalculated a situation with her similarly: She was in possession of a can of grape soda, if memory serves, and for some reason was threatening to pour it over my head. I was not known for my tact (then or now), so it followed that I would eventually awaken her ire like the sleeping giant it was.

"You wouldn't dare," I intoned snidely. "You're too much of a weed."

"Weed" was my favorite word that year ('88!), and meant, essentially, a wuss or wimpy person. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the afternoon smelling faintly of grape and cursing myself for not knowing her limits. Let's call that one a life lesson.

4 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Wow. The definition of 'weed' changed a lot between your high school days and mine.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

I miss grape soda! But not having it poured on my head.

Marilyn Monroe reportedly dyed her wedding veil with coffee to match her beige dress when she married Joe DiMaggio, so your sheets are actually very stylish.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that!!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Yes, those are fighting words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home