Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Monday, May 08, 2006

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

Booby and I went to H-Mart, a new Asian supermarket, this past weekend. Our area has a pretty vital Koreatown happening, as well as many South Asian immigrants in residence, so there are lots of little cornershops featuring interesting foodstuffs and Bollywood movies (and the regular supermarkets even have a decent selection of international foods beyond Goya and La Choy). H-Mart is the only market in our immediate area that has fresh produce, several fast food restaurants, frozen food (including cheese and corn flavored ice cream and red bean popsicles), fresh bakery goods, fresh seafood ... the works.

We erred on the side of not buying too much, and Booby has photographed out modest haul here. Best items so far? The Suntory lemon drink (a less sweet, slightly fizzy lemonade) and the Vegetable Snack (sort of like Funyuns, but less gross, and lighter). Not pictured: a six pack of long green hot pepper plants which have since been planted, a pineapple, and a package of Asian pears. I'll try to take some garden photos this week to show what we've been up to (sadly, the cats ate many of our seedlings while we were away last weekend; Bailey has been extra sweet and cuddly to me since then, as if she senses that I would like to smack her furry head, with its walnut-sized brain).

I can't wait to go back and get some more stuff!

4 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I am absolutely addicted to Korean pears. Love them. Taste like a cross between a pear and an apple to me.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

I would love to try the savory ice cream. The lemon drink sounds awesome, too. I heart ethnic food.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have an H-Mart near us that I've been dying to try. I'm working my husband up to that -- he can be funny about stepping out of his comfort zone with the tried and true supermarkets. Today we tried a small Mediterranean market and cafe, maybe next time he'll be brave enough to try the H-Mart!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Wordgirl, I am jealous - I have to drive for about half an hour to get to a grocery that caters to those who enjoy Mexican food (there's a ShopRite that serves a pocket of Central and South Americans in the 'burbs).

Arabella, the savory ice cream scares me. But the red bean/tamarind/peanut popsicles are calling to me.

Nancy, H-Mart is very clean and modern compared to the average ethnic market (at least the ones in Philly); your husband might not feel too odd there. There were a few non-Asians shopping, and everyone spoke English and was friendly. I just wish that the local version of the H-Mart website wasn't in Korean! Guess I'll have to translate the page with Babelfish ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home