Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Belly shots!

30 weeks! As you can see, I'm carrying everything out in front, and am consequently assless. Flat Ass Syndrome runs in my family, and I'm terrified that this is the beginning of it for me. Lunges, here I come (in 3 months or so). Please ignore my unbrushed hair (and unmade bed - I am a slob).

Maternity jeans: fashion or torture device? In this case, both. I learned awhile back that panel jeans just make me look like I have the world's saggiest crotch (hott!), so the stretchy waist works best, though I spend half my day hiking the waistband up. Thank god for Goodwill (and their awesome half price Saturday that just passed). Eight items of maternity clothing for a paltry 20 clams.

You also might notice that the belly ring remains. Every time I went to the OB, one of the doctors would say, "That thing is going to have to come out." Once I asked why, and the response was, "You can't wear that in to surgery!" Seemed reasonable until the penny dropped and I realized I had no intention of having surgery just to give birth (barring an emergency, of course). When I started meeting with doulas, one of them suggested switching to a midwife, and so I did. Vive le difference! Though it's not an option for anyone having a higher-risk pregnancy, midwifery is the best choice for me, and I hadn't thought of it previously because I didn't think I would be allowed drugs (I was wrong). Obstetricians would do well to take some cues from midwifery and treat pregnancy and labor as natural processes rather than medical conditions to be "treated," as if they were diseases. And let their patients keep their damn navel rings in if they want to. End rant.

***

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped coach me through my mom thing. It's all good now (after a few more cranky emails and, yes, me apologizing), and we've even been chatting online a bit. Progress is being made.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Beautiful belly!

Ok, I'm going to try to get my ass in gear and post some belly shots of my own. AND some shots of the fabulous care package you sent me 300 years ago. I'm sorry I'm so slow!

I didn't know you could use a midwife and still have pain relief! That's awesome! I totally agree that women should have prenatal care from people that don't view pregnancy as a disease, which is one of the reasons I'm much, much happier since I switched OB's. My current doctor treats his job as that of "just checking in," being reassuring, and answering questions, instead of trying to micromanage every detail and scare me half to death, like the first guy. I knew that one was trouble when he recommended a scheduled C-section when I was only SEVEN WEEKS along, and quoted me some scary bullshit statistics that later research revealed to be completely incorrect. Ladies, trust your instincts!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger toyfoto said...

You tiny little thing!

It's interesting that someone said that HAS to come out because you can't go into surgery with it. No wonder why (unplanned) c-sections are on the rise. They are planned. Just not by us.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're gorgeous.
And hooray for midwifery. Have you read any of Ina Mae Gaskin's books? I highly reccomend even if you don't plan for unmedicated labor... the ideas presented are very much in line with pregnancy being a natural state and not a disease to be treated.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Blondie said...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! I love these belly shots. Thank you!!!!!! :) :) :) So beautiful.

I've had many many friends use a midwife and have a wonderful experience--go for it.

And glad to hear the mom thing is coming along. Keep us posted.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look FABULOUS. I hope you are feeling as wonderful as you look!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Fraulein N said...

You look good! It's probably a moot point now, but there are flexible rings available that are good for pregnant women. I think the real concern (and I don't know why your doctor didn't know this), is that the growth of your midsection could cause the ring to be torn out. Ow.

But you're so tiny it probably doesn't matter anyway. ;-)

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Ellie's Mommie said...

Had to leave you a comment because I'm so with you on the maternity jeans and flat-ass syndrome! I'm 28 weeks & as my mother just mailed me several pairs of maternity jeans, I found myself walking around all day pulling up the front of my pants. On the plus side, it was a nice break from my previous exercise of pulling up the back of my pre-prego pants. No doubt I'll have aching arms tomorrow from exercising these new muscles.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ellie's Mommie said...

I am so jealous of you and your painted toenails. I keep thinking I need to paint mine. I imagine it might be a little difficult to maintain an odd yoga position with a mirror in one hand and a nail polish brush in the other. No doubt a pedicure is certain to cure every pregnancy ailment!

Oh, and yes, the neighbor with the dog is the same neighbor who has the subwoofer. I am doubly fed up with them!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you look absolutely wonderful!

I wish flat-ass syndrome ran in our family!!!

I found your blog on Props & Pans.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you look great!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said...

You look might cute in them there jeans!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home