Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Scenes from my childhood

Just a couple, here, to showcase the cuteness I radiated before becoming the fashion-challenged teen you so recently witnessed:

Well, that might be more "snotty young punk" than "radiating cuteness." Taken with my brother's Brownie camera.


Aaaaah! My eyes! There is no cuteness here, just the horror perpetrated by Miami Vice. That's me (once again, a stylish young daughter of Sappho), second from right. In, of all things, a sweater dress. And shoulder pads. I loved Miami Vice. And Don Johnson. Can you tell?


Oh, the ennui!

Check out my mom's ciggie. Back in the early '70s, doctors encouraged women to smoke 'n' drink while pregnant, and while sitting thisclose to their children. So far, we are mysteriously lung cancer-free (but it's early days for me, at least).

This was my father's chair that had to be given up if he entered the room and wished to sit there. It was cleverly positioned in front of the TV. Even now, my father has "his" chair (albeit, not a hideous green naugahyde one). I clearly recall attacking this green monster with a seam ripper. I was a Little Destructo. {insert maniacal laughter here.}


The Leo personality manifests! This started a lifelong obsession with photo booths that continues even now, as Booby can attest.

More to come.

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I had a dress just like the one your mom's wearing in the first photo! I was probably about eight then.

My mom drank beer while nursing us, because it was supposed to make you produce more milk. I think that probably explains a lot about how we ended up!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some similar pics of my mom smoking next to me at the dinner table next to her. Ahh, such memories. ;-)

You were such a cute kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home