Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, February 08, 2006

100 Things About Me

  1. I'm not a natural redhead.
  2. But my brother is, and my grandfather was, so it looks natural. Most people can't tell that I get a little help from Miss Revlon.
  3. I used to lie about my weight (bumping it up by about 10 lbs.) so I could give blood at blood drives. I don't have to do that anymore, but I haven't given blood in a few years because you're supposed to wait a year after being tattooed or pierced.
  4. I used to have 10 piercings.
  5. Now I have 3. I don't miss them.
  6. If you ask me nicely, I might tell you where they were.
  7. I have been compared to Monica Geller on Friends on more than one occasion.
  8. I was also once compared to Shirley Feeney, so you can see that perhaps there is some merit to the general idea.
  9. I was raised in part by my grandmother, who lived with us. She sort of took over the reins after my mother went back to work.
  10. She was a great lady, but she ruled my mom with an iron fist, even going so far as to open her mail. She mellowed out by the time I knew her.
  11. She had a lot of miscarriages before she had my mom, and one stillbirth. I worry that my fertility issues stem from her genes.
  12. I have a very quick temper.
  13. Most people find that out sooner rather than later.
  14. I love to argue, and that has freaked out a lot of my boyfriends, who equated arguing with trouble in paradise.
  15. I had a boyfriend who was bipolar, but he didn't believe he was. He killed himself by lying down on the train tracks.
  16. I felt responsible. It's a long story that I might tell someday in a public forum. I still miss him, but as a friend, not a boyfriend. He was kind of an ass as a boyfriend.
  17. I was engaged for a year about 4 years ago. The groom got cold feet and I kicked him out of the apartment he and I shared.
  18. That messed me up for a long time until I met my husband, who is everything the other guy wasn't.
  19. I wear contacts and probably always will because I am frightened of lasik surgery.
  20. I'm a spelling nazi.
  21. I don't like most seafood.
  22. I have math anxiety.
  23. I enjoy crossword puzzles, but I've never finished a New York Times crossword without help.
  24. I'm a big proponent of cruelty-free products.
  25. But I still eat meat. And wear leather.
  26. And I don't care if you think that's hypocritical.
  27. I'm proud to say I'm a feminist.
  28. I hate cold weather and won't go out in it if I don't have to.
  29. Hot weather doesn't bother me, even if it's in the 90s.
  30. I dislike air conditioning.
  31. I've had two poems published.
  32. I refuse to eat fast food.
  33. I don't like musicals, but I often like the music from them.
  34. I smoked off and on for over 10 years, but I quit maybe 3 years ago.
  35. I'm not a very addictive personality. I smoked because I liked it, not because I felt compelled.
  36. I have to fight my urge to hoard things.
  37. I like having a lot of food on hand. My fridge is always full.
  38. People's dads love me. Their moms, not so much.
  39. My hands and feet are usually cold. I guess I have bad circulation.
  40. I've had people ask me if my eyes are real (rather than colored contacts) more times than you've had hot dinners.
  41. I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and feel cheated that I am not taller in accordance with having such big feet.
  42. I'm 5'6", but somehow I give the illusion of height.
  43. I'm the shortest person in my family. They all mock me for being short.
  44. I wear SPF 45 during the summer.
  45. I really like dictionaries and I have several of them.
  46. I was raised Catholic and attended parochial school for 12 years.
  47. I don't go to mass anymore. But I'll never not be Catholic.
  48. I used to pretend to go to mass and go to Dunkin Donuts instead when I still lived at home.
  49. I got busted when my mother asked me about the sermon that day.
  50. I used to have a boss who sexually harrassed me. Quitting was the most liberating feeling ever.
  51. This old boss and I have mutual acquaintances still, and I know he hates me to this day. Which sort of amuses me.
  52. I really hate misplaced quotation marks.
  53. And when people can't work out the difference between "its" and "it's".
  54. My favorite flowers are ranunculus.
  55. I like to cook.
  56. I'm pretty good at it.
  57. But I am no gourmet.
  58. I love red wine, but the sulfites give me killer headaches.
  59. My husband and I had two wedding ceremonies: a small, religious one and a large, civil ceremony.
  60. The judge got my name horribly wrong during the civil ceremony.
  61. And announced us as Mr. & Mrs. My Maiden Name.
  62. But it was OK because we were happy and it was funny.
  63. I tend to start things and then not finish them.
  64. I never graduated from college and sometimes I allow this fact to make me feel stupid.
  65. Then I get over it. I'll probably never finish school, though.
  66. I'm a Leo. Textbook case.
  67. I have Scorpio rising. I'm also on the cusp of Virgo, which makes me a little anal.
  68. I cry easily.
  69. I find that frustrating.
  70. I blush easily, too.
  71. I'm a very light sleeper.
  72. I can't drive stick.
  73. I used to be a nude model for art classes.
  74. I also modeled privately for a couple of artists.
  75. It wasn't as creepy as it sounds.
  76. I wish I had a big enough yard to raise chickens.
  77. I won't wear thongs.
  78. I can quote The Simpsons at will.
  79. Cocoa Puffs are my favorite cereal.
  80. When I was single, I would sometimes eat cereal for dinner.
  81. Now I see that was a bad idea.
  82. I watch too much TV.
  83. I've been mistaken for a boy on more than one occasion.
  84. I curse a lot.
  85. The school nurse once complimented my thick hair while doing a lice check.
  86. I'm very independent.
  87. I almost always carry mace.
  88. Because I've been hassled by men on dark streets in the past when I didn't have it.
  89. Now whoever hassles me will get a shot of pepper spray in the eyes.
  90. I understand revenge.
  91. I'm fairly impervious to advertising.
  92. I'm a control freak.
  93. I was an "oops" baby.
  94. I know this because there are 8 years between me and my youngest sister.
  95. But I never felt unwanted.
  96. I read a lot.
  97. I had a huge Barbie collection as a child.
  98. I was under the influence of soap operas, so the Barbies got around, if you know what I mean.
  99. I like making lists.
  100. I think the odds are good that I'll die of cancer.

19 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Okay.

1. I'm asking nicely. Please?

2. I'd never have guessed you weren't a natural redhead.

3. I like dictionairies!

4. I enjoy quoting The Simpsons too.

5. I'm a list girl. Lists RULE.

6. I've been compared to a sailor because of my potty mouth.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said people have asked if your eyes are "real" or contacts. What color are they?

I am the same way about animal products -- I am big on cruelty-free stuff, but still eat meat and wear leather. I wouldn't wear fur though. Can't explain the distinction, but it's there...

Sad ending to the 100. I think I'm the same way though.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Hey - I like you even more now!

Air conditioning is stinky.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I am shocked you can read my blog at all, I have offended your sensibilities on every vocabulary and punctuational front you mentioned. Can I send my blogs to you before I post them....

I am also shocked your hair is not naturally red.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

I feel like I've been punched in the stomach, but in a really, really good way.

I like you more than ever.

I can't believe you're not a natural redhead.

You and I have 73 in common.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Mama_Tulip, email me at teminy at yahoo dot come and I will reveal all.

Nancy, My eyes are blue with a darker blue edge. I've never thought they look fake; they're a very everyday blue. And I couldn't do fur either. I think I feel OK if I know that the item is a by-product of an existing industry, like, cows are beef and the leather shouldn't go to waste. Or something.

Denice, I reserve judgment on people whose blogs I like. :)


Arabella, 73 things, or you used to be a nude model, too? Scandalous!

Thank you, everyone, for believing in my hair. I am just fixing what God didn't get to. ;)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

We probably do have 73 things in common, at least, but I meant that I used to be a nude model, too.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I love the part about the Barbies! Were there Kens involved, or just Barbies?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Tink said...

48. I used to pretend to go to mass and go to Dunkin Donuts instead when I still lived at home.
49. I got busted when my mother asked me about the sermon that day.

LOL! Your mom is wicked.

73. I used to be a nude model for art classes.

I would die of fright on the spot. But you totally gained 100 respect points for having done it.

GREAT post. I may have to steal... ahem, borrow the idea in the near future.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

GG, Ken was often involved in the Barbies' activities, but the Donny Osmond doll was a rapist who lived in a cave (under a chair, for our purposes).

Arabella, I am literally stunned you were a nude model. Much respect.

Tink, nude modeling is easy money. Most people are too freaked out to talk to the model. There were one or two who made eye contact - not cool. But I never had a problem. Plus, you usually get paid under the table.

Feel free to steal the idea; I have stolen it from Denice, TB, and a few others!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Thanks! I did the nude modeling so I'd have at least one interesting story to tell my grandchildren, and also to face my body issues head-on after the end of the relationship that I blogged about today. It was a good experience. Plus, it was one of the highest-paying on-campus jobs. And it was fun. Everybody's all serious and proper, but everybody also paints the breasts and pubic triangle first.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love lists of 100. It's fascinating to see what people will reveal about themselves and it's neat to see the common threads that weave us all together as well as the things that make us different.
I'm not a natural redhead either, but no one would ever guess. I had red hair growing up and it darkened as I got older, so like you I'm just fixing mother nature.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger The Big Pugawug said...

I so hear you on #53. It drives me up the wall that my in-laws have a sign in front of their house saying 'The In-Law's,' as do all the other homes in their subdivision.

And, actually, I'm with you on #54 too. They were in my wedding bouquet.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. H. Do you have RSS feed to which I an subscribe?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Matt Z, you can add me to your Bloglines sub ... other than that, you will have to help me because I am severely technologically-challenged.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I am asking nicely, where were all the piercings? ;-)

Great post!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I love to argue too, unfortunately not many people I know appreciate a good arguement especially over current events.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, I actually feel comelled to mail you all the ones that you & I have in common. Holy cow, were we separated at birth?

interesting list, I do say.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

compelled, not "comelled".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home