Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Friday, February 03, 2006

Weekend Delights

This morning as Booby and I rode the El to work, I read the Metro and he read over my shoulder. I arrived at the Friday weekend section and was thrilled to discover a write-up for the Philadelphia Tattoo Convention. I've attended this show in the past and always had an interesting time. The last time I went, I found an artist I really liked, Leonie Bauer, and she ended up doing the piece on my lower back. From what I can see Leonie is now calling herself Leonie Grande; I suppose a better stage name was in order. "Grande" makes me think either Taco Bell or Cosi, though.

So plans were made to attend on Sunday (the convention runs all weekend, but I am meeting up with the lovely Arabella and her friend C.S. tomorrow to wreak havoc on Chinatown: fertility tea and dim sum are the orders of the day. Squeee!), and all was well. I was looking forward to the possibility of covering over the prison ink on my upper arm (inflicted upon self via cheap tattoo parlor in 1992) until I received an instant message from my darling husband.

b00by: can you take a pregnancy test on Sunday?
teminy: why? are you afraid it will affect the pregnancy if there is one?
b00by: because-- yes. :(

Sigh. Last night he asked me not to have a glass of wine with my dinner, so I was a little irritated, but a quick trip on the internets proved that he was right:

You will be very interested to know that little to no information is available about the safety of skin dyes used for tattooing during pregnancy. It is possible that the chemicals in the dye may affect the development of the baby during the first 12 weeks, but the risks are unknown, as are any affects on the baby during the remainder of the pregnancy. It would probably by wise to delay having a tattoo done until after your baby is born.

This one had me feeling more than a little freaked:

Some women may have also heard that if they have a tattoo on their back, then they will be unable to get an epidural. Very few studies have been done on the risks that could exist for women who have back tattoos and receive an epidural. So far none of these studies have conclusively found any data that shows that there are risks, so most anesthesiologist have no problem giving an epidural to a woman with a back tattoo. If you are wanting an epidural and have a tattoo on your back, it still would be best to contact the hospital and find out what guidelines your doctor follows in regards to tattoos and epidurals.

Dude, I have a high threshold for pain, but one thing I know is that I cannot accomplish childbirth without painkillers. My mother has told me stories about delivering my siblings and me: "They put us in something called twilight sleep. It was great - I didn't remember a thing. I woke up and they put a baby on my chest!" Keep in mind that my mother smoked and drank through all of her pregnancies with her doctor's blessing. And my mother is not a moderate person when it comes to vice. Anyhoo, let's hope that if indeed I ever spawn, I am allowed to be given that foot long needle.

So, no matter what happens on Sunday, I'm headed for disappointment. Either I'll have a negative result, and console myself with a tattoo, or I'll have a positive result and have to forego a tattoo.

The latter option might not be so bad. I can wait another year.

12 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Look at it this way: no matter what happens on Sunday, it will be something good. Either you will be pregnant, or you will get a new tattoo.

Thanks for linking to that article. :)

I really can't wait to see you! Thinking about it has been one of the few bright spots of my week.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Tink said...

^Totally agree with Arabella. The glass is half full chick. Half full of what is up to you. But I would make it wine. Even prego women can have a glass of wine.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Yes, I agree on the wine. The seratonin effect far outweighs the stress effect.

I want to know what the yucky arm tattoo is. Was it poorly drawn or poorly selected?

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

It sucks, having to wait so long for a tattoo. I've been dying to get one for a long time, but I wouldn't do it while I was pregnant and nursing. Actually I was just talking to Dave about booking an appointment to get one done.

I have four tattoos on my back and one is on my tailbone, which is around the area where I had my epidural administered. It isn't the most fun thing to have done but I highly doubt my tattoo had anything to do with the amount of pain/discomfort I was in. I've had 2 epidurals and nobody said anything about it to me. So go for it, girl, if it turns out you can. Which I hope it doesn't.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

So, at least you have a back up plan. Where are the pictures of you tattoos? I have 3 children, but I am too afraid to get a tattoo, go figure.

Have fun and relax and I hope all turns out well (but I am hoping for the prego part for now).

Oh, look my word verification is guyshit.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

At least you'll still get dim sum - love dim sum, very jealous of you! My mom smoked and to this day my brother and I blame our asthma on her. :)

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire that you are not afraid of the tattoo. I am tattoo-free becuase I am afraid of the pain. Of course, i was a huge fan of the epidural too - I almost kissed my anaesthesiologist when he showed up!

Enjoy your happy weekend.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I did childbirth without the epidural, but the idea of someone repeated sticking a needle into my skin sends me running for the exit. Hence, Hubby has tatoos, but I do not.

I've got my fingers crossed for the positive test result!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know about the back tattoo. I have one and that had never occurred to me.
I hope that whatever happens on Sunday, you are happy with the outcome.
Have a great weekend!

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to insist that i would birth my children with not even a tylenol in my system. that was, of course, before i'd birthed any children.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Thinking about you and UNDERSTANDING all too well! Well, except the tattoo part. Too scary. But how's the tea?

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the opportunity arises, I always feel compelled to say SOMETHING about a positive labour experience. I gave birth to a 9lb3oz boy with no drugs (well goody for you!). It really was labour in every sense of the word but it is a perfecty natural experience that your body is built for. I'll bet you were "born for birthin'" and don't even know it! Didn't mean to sound all preachy but there are two sides and we woman seem to always ahare the bad side of this one ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home