Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, March 01, 2006

So ... tired



I am being a good little soldier this week: we're having a large family dinner for my parents at my sister's house in Harrisburg, wherein we will present them with the scrapbook that killed my knee joints as well as an iPhoto presentation of family photos set to music. I trimmed down the iPhoto presentation last night so that the images would fit the music, and I completed my tasks of buying wine and salad stuff, as well as making rolls from scratch (because why not overdo it?) for the big do. But we're also getting them a gift: tickets to The Lion King, a nice dinner, and an overnight stay in a B&B in downtown Philly. Since I'm the one who actually lived in the city for a number of years (South Philly represent!) and I still work there, I'm viewed as the local authority on restaurants and whatever else might be available there. Which is great and flattering, but it also means I have to trudge over to the Kimmel Center after work (I refuse to pay an $8.50 per ticket "handling charge"; cheap, I know) to buy these damn tickets, and then follow up by reserving a room at La Reserve B&B and seeing about a gift certificate at a local BYOB, which only takes cash, so if they don't do gift certificates I guess we'll be going with the envelope of cash option.

And I just realized I didn't defrost anything for dinner. Shit!

And I'm having a job performance review this week.

And I have PMS. Not that I should care, since I was supposed to be taking the month off from frenzied, calculating sex-for-procreation, a memo which my husband apparently did not receive.

And I sort of promised myself I would bathe Clyde tonight, which will not be any fun at all, though he is quite a love, and stretched himself across both our laps in luxurious abandon last night while we cuddled him.

A repeat of that, plus the fact that I bought myself ladybugs for the garden today (say goodbye, aphid infestation), are the only bright spots I have going right now. Oh, and a new Lost is on, right? Thank fuck for that.

OK, crybaby post over. Better post soon!

13 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone is entitled to a vent post every now and then. Good luck with the performance review and the only consolation of the pms is that you'll be able to have some wine at the family celebration.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Mignon said...

Oh, now I see you've named him Clyde already. *whining* But I really liked Janis Joplin! The voice - you know?

So do you put your ladybugs in the fridge for another couple weeks or can they go out yet? I think I heard somewhere that as soon as you set them free they all fly out and start doin' it.

(Ooo - shell-slash-tigerlily! Cute picture!)

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are suffering from 'GoTo' syndrome.

A friend and I came up with this term - we both come from large families (I am the youngest of 5) but there is always one child that everyone else 'goes to' to get things done. Take mom to the doctor? GoTo me! Buy the group gift? GoTo me!

It gets tiring, doesn't it?

But through it all, you did manage to take a spectacular photo of a ladybug.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I love Lost! At least you had that to look forward to!

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you what a good t.v. show can do for a really bad day. Actually, I can. It can save a really bad day.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

Goodness, woman, you are incredible! I'm sorry everything is assy now, though. I would happily take Clyde off your hands, but Hubster doesn't want any new pets until after we have kids, so at the rate we're going, I won't have any feline companionship for another 10 years or so.

When Jasper was sick and dying, he stopped cleaning himself, so we gave him little "sponge baths" with paper towels dampened with warm water, trying to mimick the action of his own tongue. It seemed to comfort him. Perhaps this technique would be easier on you than a full-fledged kitty bath for Clyde?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm PMS-ing, too. We can bitch to each other.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

See, you are really a nice person (to take Clyde in) he's adorable! That ladybug photo is absolutely gorgeous! Hope they're hungry.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Arabella, that comment almost made me cry. I hope someday when I'm old and stuck in bed someone who loves me pets me softly with a warm wet towel. Or right now would be ok too.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Ooooh, and Lost was goooood last night, don't you think?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Tink said...

Homemade rolls? You know that shit comes in a can, right? I'm sending some de-stressor vibes your way.

Where in the world do you buy ladybugs from?

I've never watched an episode of lost, save for the first one. I just bought the first season and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I'm such a TV junkie.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

Mignon, I'll pet you softly with a warm wet towel if you feed me my meals through a straw. We women have to look out for each other. :)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Chin up girlfriend! It was a great Lost last night. We learned a lot. I knew the costumes of The Others that made them look like castaways was just that....a costume!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I miss Lost, I am ordering the DVDs so I can just watch the entire season together.

I hope the family worships you for the scrapbook.

I love ladybugs. They are so awesome and always ready to kick some aphid butt.h

 

Post a Comment

<< Home