Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Museum of Bad Hair

Oh, people, I am on a tear.

I dyed my hair dark brown, apparently in an effort to eradicate my personality after a bad breakup. This was the result. I thought, at the time, that the glasses made me look smart. Now I know better, and I only wear glasses in the privacy of my own home after removing my contacts at the end of the day. Vanity, thy name is Mrs. Harridan.



A little self-knowledge is a good thing. Specifically, the knowledge that I should never, ever have bangs. Ever.


There's that hot lesbian again! My husband actually quite likes this look. I can see this look happening again after I spawn, maybe. It was very low-maintenance.


High school cafeteria, circa 1989. Check out that sex-ay uniform! I went through a phase in which I wore men's neckties as hairbands ... that might be what's happening here. If you could see the other earring, I have no doubt it would not match the visible one: that was my punk rock, po-mo girl motif. Oh, you crazy anarchist, Former Self!


I mentioned in someone's comments that I had to cut off all my hair after a bad perm that fried my hair like bacon. This is the aftermath. Booby says this picture frightens him. And, honestly, it's not even the worst of the bunch from that era.


This was my "party" outfit in college: black tights or hose, combat boots, cut-offs, and dark shirt with military-cut jacket over top. Without fail, I wore this to keggers and dance clubs alike. This is also notable for the Salt 'n' Pepa-style flip hairdo (although I much preferred to refer to it as my devil's lock). {makes devil horns gesture}


As some of you may know, I met my husband at work, 11 years ago. You can see why he has been in love with me since then (and he remembers this sweater fondly; it was a Village Thrift special festooned with moth holes). The obvious lack of makeup is a nice touch. Of course, every night of that era was spent propping up a bar somewhere, so odds are good that I'm hungover in this one. Hott!

***Updated to give a big Thank you to everyone who commented; your kind words have made me feel a lot better about posting these pics and taking ownership of my gawky years by claiming them in a public forum. I'm very grateful!***

14 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger IzzyMom said...

Your party outfit looks like it could have come from MY closet in 1989..lol I I really miss the black-tights-with-everything-even-denim-shorts look

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, you look very different in almost every photo. I love the short, low-maintenance hairdo.

And I think I had the same party outfit back then too...

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I just have to say that I love every single pic you've posted! No matter what the hair color (woman after my own heart!). :)

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger The Big Pugawug said...

The hot lesbian look works, for sure. And during that "I nurse 6 times a day and yank your hair HARD" phase when the kid is 4 to 6ish months, it would be a very, very good idea. Hard to grab, doesn't need a brush, comb, or product.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Dude, honestly? I think you look good with bangs.

And straight up, you're hot.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

Goodness, woman, you look great even without makeup. And your eyes in that perm photo!!!

It's hard to imagine you without the long red hair, bonny Irish lass that you are. But I like 'em all.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Wow, those eyes! You are gorgeous, girl!

I am so loving these pictures!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Again, I must say how brave you are! And cute, damn cute!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Table4Five said...

I like your hair dark, and wow! are your eyes beautiful in the perm photo.

Wish I had a picture of my college party outfit-white button down shirt worn untucked with the sleeves rolled up, khakis also rolled up, Bass Weejun loafers. So preppy it's sick.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the old tights with shorts look. That's very early nineties, no?

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Tink said...

How did I miss these?! These are great. I love your black tights under the cut off jeans. You hip chick you. ;)

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigod! Those pictures rock! I should post mine - my hair is totally different in each one, my husband is convinced I am wanted by the FBI.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I like the dark hair and glasses, but I would never have recognized you.

The party outfit, made me laugh, I had one with the shorts, thigh highs a black stretch shirt and a teeny tiny sweater. Way cool.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jean shorts with tights, check. gosh the late 80s/early 90s were odd.

I actually like looks 1 (dig the glasses, too) & 3 (reminds me of a model whose name is escaping me). however, I concur... bangs....eh.

awesome montage. you definitely have hair courage which I admire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home