Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Thursday, March 09, 2006

There is superstition ...



I saw my much-discussed mother last weekend when we celebrated my parents' 50th anniversary. My mom is a great one for little gifts - she is forever picking up things she thinks I might like. This time was no different; she brought me a St. Gerard medal.

I haven't discussed my fertility issues with my mother in any great depth, but regardless of her awareness of the scientific methods being employed to get a bun into my oven, I know her solution would be the same: Heavy Duty Catholic Superstition. Whenever anyone was selling or buying a house, St. Joseph got buried. When rain threatens someone's graduation or wedding, the statues go onto the window sill to guarantee nice weather. Novenas have been made to St. Jude (the patron of hopeless causes) to rid the family of disliked boyfriends. Deals with the Heavenly Father are the norm in my family.

Saint Gerard is the unofficial patron saint of pregnant women, and at one time it wasn't uncommon to name your male child after the saint as a way of thanking him for seeing you through a difficult pregnancy safely.

I guess I'm not immune to the superstition, either, because I put the medal on a chain when I got home and put it around my neck. I haven't taken it off since. Maybe the good vibes will actually work better than "just relaxing" or "trying not to get pregnant." And an IUI probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Just don't expect me to name my baby Gerard.

12 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not even if it's a girl?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

*Especially* not if it's a girl! I may have some prejudice against the name, though, because I briefly dated a Gerard in college, who was a mess.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I second Wordgirl -- do whatever makes you feel good.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Tink said...

Sometimes just the faith in those things is enough to make it work. I'm crossing my fingers, rubbing Buddha's belly and not walking under ladders for you. :)

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger IzzyMom said...

Have you ever heard of that fertility statue at Ripley's Believe it or Not? It's supposed to get you preggers just by touching it. It's not exactly Vatican-approved, of course...lol

Gerard was the name of a boy in my first grade class that I had a mad crush on. I'm so sure you care :-)

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

I like the idea of a token of any kind which results in comforting a stressed woman. And I like doubly the idea that it came from your mom, with little prior knowledge of your situation. (Did that all make sense? I've had a little too much wine.)

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally believe in the power of our minds and I think we project that power on to other objects, like tokens, statues, talismans, etc. I had a rock that I kept on my nighstand before Z was born and it said "baby" on it. I believed that rock was going to help me get pregnant and when I did I told EVERYONE about the rock. I know several friends who tried similar things.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Oh yea, this Catholic girl can totally relate! You bet I buried St. Joe in the backyard when we put our last house up for sale. Hey, the house sold. lol. No one knows you better than your mom.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Arabella said...

Looks like I need to pick up a St. Gerard medal!

I got a St. Francis medal (patron saint of small animals) after my childhood dog died. I would hold it and think of her. It comforted me.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Put me on the list! (Maybe this can be part of the B-list Bloggers' gift bag?)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

You know, that's not a bad idea, Brooke; it's not sterling, just "silvertone," so it probably wasn't too spendy.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Hey, the medal can't hurt, right?

Regarding names...Hubby's dad was named Elmer, so his oldest brother is also named Elmer. Good thing Hubby wasn't born first, or things would have worked out very differently for us...I cannot imagine EVER dating a guy named Elmer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home