Mean Girl to the Rescue!

How'm I gonna save the world when the world ain't ready?


Sunday, March 05, 2006

In the buff

Some of you know that I'm an avid gardener when the weather permits. In the last couple of years, I've also gotten a little obsessive about seed trading, as well. This has served me well: I've "met" many online seed traders via various Yahoo groups and over Gardenweb.com (the people there are knowledgeable and friendly, for the most part).

Last year, I traded seeds with a nice fellow in Delaware. Well, I say traded, but I think I even neglected to send him the seeds I owed him, because I'm lazy and forgetful. Somewhere, I still have a label with his address on it, with a note to send him columbine seeds or something. But anyway, every so often, I get an email from a chat service, or one of those "keep track of your friends online!" services mentioning his name: Harry Morninglory wants you to join FriendMonster! I usually delete them without thinking much about it (except for the stab of guilt that I never sent him his seeds - why does he want to keep in touch with me, when I'm a bad trader? He must just have me in his address book, and import that info every time he joins one of these services). But this time, there was a link to his page. Hey! I thought, He had such great garden photos on his GardenWeb page. I wonder if he has any new flower photos on this page? And I clicked through, noting his interest in Cher, the movie The Birdcage and the Carolina Tar Heels, and only noticing the following paragraph after reading that the thing he is "scared of" is "having to wear clothes":

Looking for great friends who don't care about dressing just to hang out. Nudity is the only way to share being open and honest. If this is something you like to do, please let me know so we can hook up.

Dude. Now I'm pretty sure that I'm never going to send those seeds I owe you. Sorry.

15 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

Trading seeds sounds vaguely sexual anyway. Not something I'd like to do with strange men, whether or not they like being nekkid all the time.

(Let me know if you want a giant pumpkin seed - we've got quite a few from last year's crop. You need lot's of room for these, though.)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Wow. Naked gardening. Might be painful.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger MrsFortune said...

I agree with Mignon!

But maybe this is why that word for nudist - naturist - is so close to the word "naturalist". That has always confused me.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Lord help me if I ever meet this man, with this terrible knowledge that he's really a nudist.

Mignon, if I had the space, I would totally go for the giant pumpkins. Alas, we do square foot gardening since we have so little area (and a lot of what we have has been tainted by treated wood stakes). But may I offer you some Lumina (ghostly white!) pumpkin seeds?

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell, going around physically naked has very little to do with actually being open and honest. Just because I can see your
beans and franks doesn't mean I can see your soul.
But maybe that's just me.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

LMAO!! Scary, you escaped a bullet there. Gee, I hope he doesn't somehow find your blog and read the post about how you were a nude model or he's gonna stalk you, big time. :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

trading seeds with that dude would be totally sexual. And yucky.

I don't understand the whole nudist thing. I would never sit down at a nudist colony (and I will never visit one anyway but). Do they at least sit on towels cuz that really grosses me out.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Tink said...

LMAO! That's just way too much information.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger IzzyMom said...

Carolina Tar Heels AND nude gardening? Interesting combination of hobbies...lol I'd be afraid of getting dirt and bugs in all my nooks and crannies. Ewww.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Tits McGee said...

Okay, first of all, you said, "seed trading." Heh. Heh heh.

Second, I think Harry Morninglory could have chosen his words a bit more carefully. Perhaps "dressing just to hang around" would have been a more appropriate choice than "dressing just to hang out," given that "hanging out" is evidently what he's into.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Nude Seed Trading.

Isn't that an Olympic event?

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

You have to wonder...Is his name really Harry, or should he have spelled it Hairy?

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Uh and where was he going to plant those seeds?

Yes, nudity, the ultimate way to say goodbye to consumerism and hello to frostbite...don't they cut off the frostbitten parts of the body?

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger The Big Pugawug said...

Eeew, ick, ick, ick.

So if you want to swap seeds, I have some "Lauren's Grape" poppies from Annie's Annuals that were absolutely spectacular last year.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Pug, I would love to swap seeds. How do you feel about some purple hyacinth bean running vine? Fast and easy to grow! And they can cover a fence pretty nicely, too. I'll email you to work out details. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home